Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Outreach to Aklamador

Hello all!

Just got back an hour or so ago from our outreach today. We went to a little village named Aklamador in the Volta region of Ghana. It was about a 2 and a half hour drive from Accra. I honestly think we spent more hours in the van than working!!! But it was still a very good day!! There were tons of kids in the village that were so sweet, and some of the other volunteers brought some bubbles and beach balls to give to the kids and they went NUTS!! It was awesome! A man in the village also got my address and asked me to be his 10 year old daughter's pen-pal! I was like for sure!!! I worked the glasses and medication dispensary today with Ryan and a translator. We only saw about 67 patients today, so all in all it was a light day. They people of Aklamador were so sweet. They cooked us lunch and gave it to us when we were all finished. We had tilapia and rice with this good red sauce. We also had some homemade cheese...and I'm thinking that maybe the cheese was not a smart idea...but I hated to be rude...they made it for us! My stomach is not too happy with me right now...oh well I'll get over it!!

On the way home we went a different way than we went on the way there and we drove by the coast! It was so pretty! The area we were in is called Tema and I think I heard someone saying that it's the largest port in West Africa..and I believe it! There were tons of huge ships out in the ocean! It was a neat sight. I also saw a bunch of cows today....I know that's super random... We also drove by Labadi beach and this big nice hotel called La Palm Hotel and Beach Resort (i think...) Nick was saying it's super nice and that Queen Elizabeth used to or does stay there when she comes to Ghana....pretty sweet.

It was a good day...not too long so I'm not really too worn out. Not much more to write right now....

OH! I did see something neat today. Robert examined a lady that had a traumatic corneal laceration. He made me bring my camera in and take a picture of it. It was so sad..it looked SOOO painful. Apparently this lady was walking by a tree and some kids were throwing stones into the tree for some reason and one happened to hit her in the eye.... SOOOO SAD!!

No comments: